Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"Quibbles" by Elena V. Molina


Elena V. Molina is a young filmmaker, writer and photographer from Havana. She is a member of the redaction team of the digital independent literary magazine 33 y 1/3 and has performed her literary stage acts in literary festivals and public readings. She is also the author of experimental short films, organizer of the independent film club DuMMY FuEra de cAMpo and a student at the Faculty of Audiovisual Media of the National Institute of Arts in Havana.

You can find her online at:

You Tube profile: elenavmolina, mielegua.

Blogspot: 33 y 1/3 Magazine <http://revista33y1tercio.blogspot.com>

Photoblog: Havanascity <http://havanascity.blogspot.com>

---

Morning:

1. (In the) morning(s), when it’s still dark, I can hear through the blinds the noise from the radio(s), alarm clocks, roosters, (car) horns, and shouts. If I lean out I see no one and all the windows are dark. Only the neon street lights shine, and it’s impossible for it all to come from them. If (sometimes) I wake up (in the middle of the night), I know it’s not morning because (the noises/are different) (than) (the) -silence.... - (I look at my alarm clock anyway.)

2. In the mornings, when it’s still dark, I can hear through the blinds the noise from the radios, alarm clocks, roosters, car horns, and shouts. If I lean out I see nobody and all the windows are dark. Only the neon lights in the street, and it’s impossible for it all to come from them. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night. I know it’s not morning because of the noises, the silence. (I look at my alarm clock anyway).


Clock:
1. The alarm clock has a lighted screen on which the hour flickers when the alarm sounds. When it’s not yet time, the AM or PM lights shine brighter, when it’s about to ring it dims and the hour lights up again. I can pass the time watching this game and trying to discern if it really dims or if it’s the brightness of the hour that darkens it.

2. The clock has a lighted screen where the hour sounds when it flickers. -On-, -Off- in the alarm clock, the AM and PM signs shine brighter, when it’s about to ring it dims and the hour lights up again. I can pass the time watching this game and trying to discern if it really dims or if it’s the brightness of the hour that darkens it.

Fabric:
1. Today I am wearing (my) woven (cloth) (blouse/sweater), it’s cold. Wearing woven clothing is a soft, pleasant (feeling), it smells good. I like (my woven cloth).

2. Today I am wearing (my) woven (cloth) (blouse/sweater) it’s cold. Wearing woven clothing is a soft, pleasant (sensation), it smells good. I like (my woven cloth).

Mother:
1. Jorge’s mother stands at the door and says one thing after another. All (the only thing) I can understand (I understand) is "listen" between phrase after phrase. If I fall asleep (doze off) it’s like the click of a trigger.

2. Jorge’s mother stands at the door and says one thing after another. All I can understand is "listen, listen" between phrases. If I fall asleep (doze off) it’s like the click of a trigger.

Problem:
1. (The problem is the books), (they appear) everywhere in piles of dust. (They’re there) and disappear, fall. Sometimes a book resembles another or reminds me of it, so when (it turns out) that they look like themselves (now) I distrust it. I have an open parasol many (times) they end up in there, fall in. The trouble (problem) is with time.

2. (The problem is the books), (they’re) everywhere in piles of dust. (They appear) and disappear, fall. Sometimes a book puzzles me, and turns out to be another (or reminds me of it), so when they look like themselves, I distrust it. I have many open parasols (sometimes) they end up in there, fall in. The trouble (problem) is with time.

- Translation by Anibal Gavini. Photos by author.

No comments:

Post a Comment